This post is a part of the Marketing Cloud Email Specialist Certification Tutorial Series
- Playbooks – step-by-step guides for executing digital marketing through the customer lifecycle. 3 are available: Welcome series, Birthday email, and Customer Anniversary NOTE: Playbooks will no longer be supported from January 2019. They are featured in Journey Builder for quick starts
- Triggered Emails – Message sent to an individual executed from an event that happens outside the Marketing Cloud (e.g. sign up, form fill-out etc.). Triggered emails include Welcome emails, Purchase Confirmation, Abandon Shopping Cart, or Shipping Notices
- Journey Builder – 1:1 marketing engine that allows you to build real-time messages in customer journeys across online and offline channels based on customer behavior. Used for customer lifecycle programs. Includes Journey Builder templates such as Abandon Cart, Anniversary Send, Onboarding/Welcome
- API – For technical resources. The API source code allows applications to communicate with one another
- Automation Studio – Drag and Drop interface to define a workflow that automates various activities. E.g. import data, refresh segments, export data, or send emails.
Build an automation:
- Select the Type of Automation:
- Scheduled – Based on a schedule you define the date and time to start the automation, how often the automation is to execute, and when the automation is to stop
- Triggered (NOTE this has been renamed to ‘File Drop’) – Automation will start as soon as a file is placed on your designated enhanced FTP.
- Build your automation workflow with Steps and Activities
- Workflow – Your Automation canvas where you define and create your Automation
- Steps – The order in which activities are to be executed
- Activities – A task to be executed in Automation Studio
Key Activity Definitions
Data Extract – Gives you the ability to extract tracking information or data from a data extension. This allows you to transform an XML file into a comma delimited, tab delimited, or pipe delimited format for you to import into Email
Import – Will import the file from an FTP site to a list or data extension.
Transfer File – Allows you to de-encrypt or unzip a file or to take a file that has been extracted and place it on the FTP location.
Filter Activity – Applies the data filter to a list or a data extension and places the results in a filtered list or filtered data extensions. The filter only works on 1 Data Extension
Refresh Group – Used with lists only. Takes the criteria for the group and applies it to the list to refresh the segment.
SQL Query – Takes the SQL statement and applies it to the specified data extension. The records meeting the criteria are placed in a resulting data extension. SQL can run on multiple data extensions.
Send Email – Allows you to choose a User-Initiated Email definition to execute or allows you to define the parameters for the Send.
NOTE – You must define the activities in their respective application prior to setting up automation. E.g. define File Import, or configure Email/ SMS send
An automation can have multiple steps. Each step can have multiple activities. All activities within a step execute concurrently, and all activities in the step must execute successfully before moving to the next step.
- Define your Automation Schedule (if Scheduled)
- Configure who to send the Notification Email to.
Check the other parts of the tutorial series – Marketing Cloud Email Specialist Certification Tutorial Series